SMA News Forums Forums Another JACO Update

• Another JACO Update

Posted by brianna-albers on July 30, 2021 at 7:00 am

I know I said I was giving up on JACO, but I heard from my liaison that MN Medicaid recently approved it! So I decided to go through with the hearing. It was initially scheduled for July 27th, but they never sent me the denial paperwork, so it got moved to mid-August. I’ll let y’all know what happens!

deann-r replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

July 30, 2021 at 10:42 am

Yes, it’s been approved twice now here in MN by Medicaid this year. Both for individuals with type 2 SMA. Tentative install date for me is next week! To me the hearing is a scare tactic to stop us from pursuing it. I don’t even think they looked at my initial appeal documentation. For my hearing I was prepared to argue several points. Leaning heavily on medical necessity and safety. You can also argue it lessens the feeling of being a burden because you could accomplish things independently you would usually require assistance with. Plus wheelchairs are covered to compensate for lower limb impairment. The Jaco is the equivalent as it offsets upper limb deficiencies so should be covered as well.

My suggestion is to prepare for the hearing trying not to stress too much. In my case hearing day came and the judge called saying he received notice the day prior the Jaco had been approved. So, I didn’t even have to go through the hearing. Fingers crossed it’ll be the same for you. Good luck! You got this.

• ronald-borgschulte

July 31, 2021 at 9:48 pm

DeAnna – your Jaco arrived today so you are ‘good to go’ for the installation next week!

• deann-r

August 2, 2021 at 9:11 am

Great to hear!