SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Are You a Freelancer or Entrepreneur?

• Are You a Freelancer or Entrepreneur?

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 30, 2023 at 11:47 am

I’ve been a freelancer since I graduated college back in 2013. I started as a social media manager, which later became a virtual assistant job. Then, I started writing here for SMA News Today in 2017.

In 2020, I shifted gears a bit and started my entrepreneurial journey by launching an online art shop. 

Given all the difficulties SMA presents, I feel very fortunate for the ability to work right from my couch. I remember graduating from college with a business degree wondering how I would ever be able to sit in an office all day and work. Granted the landscape of work was much different than it is today. Working from home was rare and sometimes frowned upon. Luckily, there are endless options and opportunities available today. 

What about you? Are you a freelancer or entrepreneur? If you’re looking for work, don’t be afraid to try something a little out of the box. Hone in on your skills and find ways to capitalize on them. The beauty of freelancing (or even entrepreneurship) is that you can choose how little or how much you want to work and expend your energy. Know your limits. But most importantly, believe in yourself first.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

February 1, 2023 at 10:03 am

It’s tough when it’s ingrained in us that to be productive you need a 9-5 job. Luckily my hobby caught the eye of this company, so now I’m able to do it as a freelance job. Once you move beyond the self-doubt that your skills or product aren’t good enough it really opens a lot of doors. How’s the art shop going?

• alyssa-silva

February 1, 2023 at 12:08 pm

Agreed. Oftentimes the self-doubt is the trickiest part too. Heck, it took me 30 years to put my art online. Fortunately, it’s going well! I wish I had more time to dedicate to it but I enjoy it a lot. I give you a TON of credit for getting in front of a screen and talking every week. I prefer to hide behind mine.