SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Are you a mouth breather?

• Are you a mouth breather?

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 10, 2021 at 11:00 am

I know, silly question. But I’m genuinely curious. Are you a mouth breather?

I am, and I find it much easier to take breaths through my mouth than my nose. The reason why I’m thinking about this is because of masks. Since day 1, I’ve really struggled to wear masks which has, of course, not been ideal for the last year. My oxygen plummets within ten minutes, so I’m better off staying home. If I can’t be outside away from others, I can’t really go out.

But, at the hospital the other day, I realized if I breathed through my nose, I was able to tolerate my mask a little longer. My hot breath wasn’t trapped in the mask, and I’m wondering if that was a factor for my intolerance.

tammy replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

May 12, 2021 at 8:57 am

I’m a mouth breather at night. One of the reasons I’m hesitant to try a BiPap. I don’t want a full mask but not sure it would be beneficial otherwise.

Maybe you could just try it a few times and be conscious of breathing through your nose. If it makes it more tolerable might be worth a shot.

• alyssa-silva

May 12, 2021 at 4:56 pm

I use a BiPAP, and sometimes my mouth opens up while I’m asleep and air escapes. Someone usually just has to close my jaw, and then I’m good. I sleep through the whole thing.

• tammy

May 19, 2021 at 8:50 pm
    1. Nose breather here. Even with a mask on. Which is why I absolutely hate when I have a cold and my nose is all stuffed up & can’t breathe through my nose. If I’m stuffed up and I’m awake during the day, I can force myself to breathe through my mouth. But when it’s time to go to sleep, no matter how much I try, I just cannot stay asleep while breathing through my mouth. I can do it while I’m awake but as soon as I drift off to sleep it ends up waking me up because it just doesn’t come naturally to me LOL.
  • tammy

May 19, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Oops I don’t know where the number 1. at the beginning of the post came from LOL. I think I clicked on one of the bullet options above