SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Are you going to send your child to school?

• Are you going to send your child to school?

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 2, 2020 at 11:00 am

I know it’s only July 2nd.

But there has been a lot of buzz about sending your child— with or without SMA— to school in the fall. It’s such a tricky predicament to be in but something worth considering early on.

I haven’t been in school for quite some time now. But, when I was, I stayed home every winter to avoid cold and flu season. I’d say I was homeschooled, but essentially my teachers just gave me a bunch of assignments and take-home exams and I taught myself. I did have a tutor come once a week, though.

Do you have a plan in motion yet? I’m sure it’s daunting to think about, especially since no one could have ever predicted we’d be here in the first place.

rocco replied 3 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • derek-markulin

July 2, 2020 at 11:51 am

Fortunately for my wife and I, we decided to homeschool our kids at the beginning of the school year in 2019 so before the pandemic. We decided this as we found our son was learning, for lack of better words, bad behaviors and words from other kids at school. We also were constantly getting sick as they bring everything home which wasn’t fun. And lastly our kids are learning better or more at home as we work with them which makes sense having the one on one learning experience. Some of our friends also homeschool and shared their experiences with us which helped us make the leap to homeschooling. So things haven’t changed for us fortunately.

• krystal

July 2, 2020 at 2:01 pm

My daughter is 2.5yrs old and we aren’t planning to take her back to daycare anytime soon. As much as we enjoy her learning social skills from other kids her age, I don’t think it’s worth the risk right now.

• rocco

December 25, 2020 at 11:26 am

Are all the family going to self-isolate?. No one going out at all? If at least one adult is going out (not everyone can work at home), then it is illogical to say no-one else can go out. Have you asked the school about any options for “learn from home” (in the same way as some people can “work from home”. I personally work from home, currently been cooperating with the guys from https://isaccurate.com/turkish-translation-services to get our project finished by New Year. But we adults are better organizators and time managers. There is a legal obligation to ensure the education of our children. Definitely we,  parents, have to take responsibility for health of our children’s but never forget about other aspect of life apart from health as health also depends on those other aspects