SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Are you taking similar or different precautions during COVID-19?

• Are you taking similar or different precautions during COVID-19?

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 15, 2020 at 11:48 am

A common comment I’ve been receiving lately: “Alyssa, you’ve been a pro at this quarantine thing for your entire life.”

Yes, to an extent, they’re right. The precautions I take every winter are similar to what the world is experiencing right now. I don’t usually leave my house from January to March. I practice social distancing. And I’m extra cautious of hand-washing and cleanliness.

That being said, we’ve gone one step further in this pandemic. My family and I are now completely isolated. We have suspended caregiving services and have all but bolted our doors shut. It’s different, unlike anything I have ever imagined. So, this is, in a way, new territory for me too.

How do your typical germ-related precautions measure up to what you’re doing today? Is it the same or different?

lupa-f replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

April 15, 2020 at 6:27 pm

I still require outside caregivers, so much of my routine is the same as my typical hibernation mode. There’s definitely a heightened anxiety this brings, but I just don’t have the option of total isolation. I did have one PCA wear a mask for the first time. Her kid was running a temperature. Most likely an ear infection. Still makes me nervous though.

• alyssa-silva

April 15, 2020 at 6:52 pm

I understand. When we bring caregivers back, we will most likely have them wear masks regardless. Too scary of a time— ugh.

• lupa-f

April 15, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Like you guys, this is mostly an extension of my usual winter routine, so it’s not much of a change for me (it’s still even snowed here like 3 times this week). The only thing I’m really doing differently is getting groceries delivered every two weeks rather than having restaurant delivery every couple days. And that’s less out of concern for myself than that more than half the units in my condo building are occupied by people over 70 and I don’t want to expose them unnecessarily.