SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Birth control for periods

• Birth control for periods

Posted by angela-j on September 19, 2023 at 5:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I need some advice from ladies that are taking birth control. I started my period last summer at 20 years old (late start I know, but I was too underweight before) and it hasn’t been easy to deal with. I really want to take birth control to stop the periods, but my mom tells me I don’t weigh enough – I’m about 53 lbs. I was wondering if there are any ladies with type 2 close to my weight taking birth control. If so, which one are you taking and do you get any side effects from it?

aimee replied 7 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

September 19, 2023 at 9:57 pm

Have you discussed it with your doctor? They would probably know best guidance as far as weight restrictions. I don’t regret my decision to use it to stop my periods. I’m on the chunky side of the spectrum so can’t give advice on that though.

• alyssa-silva

September 20, 2023 at 11:17 am

I started taking birth control at 45 pounds. My doctors were worried about blood clots, so they gave me a pill with no estrogen. My period eventually stopped after a few months on it.

For years I thought the pill worked. But then I got a feeding tube, gained a bunch of weight, got much healthier, aaand my period came back full force lol. So I don’t know if the pill ever actually worked. There’s a good chance my period just stopped because I was malnourished. I’ve thought about exploring other options like the Depo shot, but right now I’m just dealing with the periods. I’ve had them for a year now. They completely drain me of my energy, though.

Definitely ask your doctor for some suggestions. I would start there. Here is a link to other birth control topics in the forums. Don’t hesitate to ask us more questions too. 🙂

• aimee

September 21, 2023 at 2:36 pm

My daughter is 13 and weighs probably around 60 lbs. I posted on here a few months ago asking advice about period management. Since then she decided that she wanted to try the pill and she’s on Seasonale. She’s about a month in and doing ok. She’s a little queasy in the mornings and we’re not sure if the pill is what’s causing it. Hope you find something that works well for you!