SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Book club: How do you take notes?

• Book club: How do you take notes?

Posted by deann-r on February 23, 2024 at 9:38 am

I’m nearing the end of reading Being Heumann: An Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights Activist. I’m wondering, what is the best way to take notes?

When I had more dexterity, I would just have a notebook and jot things down. I’m sure I could highlight and take notes with the phone since I’m reading it digitally, but it feels like it would disrupt the flow of reading.

Wow! Reading this book, I admire Judy and respect the fact the disability rights movement took more effort and initiative than most people realize. Having a disability myself and knowing all the nuances that come with it, I can’t imagine traveling across the country let alone around the world as she did. I know her personality had a lot to do with her success.

What do you think made Judy a force to be reckoned with?

As I get older, and as this book points out, I realize the insecurities I’ve felt throughout my life are common. This book reiterates that these feelings are a systemic issue, not a problem with myself.

One thing in the book that stood out to me was when she was traveling internationally. She met with individuals who were now being called by their names, not just referenced by their disability. This hits home as I’ve been known as the girl in the wheelchair.

Did anything in particular stand out to you?

***Please note, I understand we didn’t do a great job outlining a timeframe for reading and discussing the book. Feel free to read it on your timeline if you choose and come back to discuss!

deann-r replied 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.