SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Caregivers Getting Sick

• Caregivers Getting Sick

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on January 3, 2019 at 7:53 pm

Hope everyone had a fantastic holiday season! I sure did. Just wanted to give an update on my new caregiver situation. It went well, but I only got to work with him a couple times, because he got sick. My friend Sam, who also takes care of me, has also been sick recently. Needless to say, things have been thin in the caregiver department. How often do you all have to deal with this? Do you find a replacement or just take your chances?

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • deann-r

January 3, 2019 at 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear that. Stinks when it’s cold & flu season. Unfortunately, I just take my chances because I’m short-staffed at the moment. Currently my overnight PCA has a cold, and I just cringe when she comes to work. It’s amazing to see how many times you touches her face and doesn’t even know it. She looks at me like I’m crazy when I asked her to wash her hands often.

• kevin-schaefer

January 4, 2019 at 11:22 am

Sorry to hear this as well. Hope they get better as well. I’m fortunate that my primary caregiver rarely gets sick, but if he ever does catch something I’ll tell him to stay home.

As far as whether you want to get substitutes or replacements, it’s your prerogative. Hopefully they get better soon, but there’s nothing wrong with getting substitutes in the meantime.

• ryan-berhar-2

January 4, 2019 at 9:06 pm

Yeah, these caregivers are more just to help take some of the load off my primary caregivers, so we can get by without them. Still frustrating though.

• halsey-blocher

January 9, 2019 at 9:34 pm

Hope everyone feels better soon! I’m fortunate in that my nurses rarely get sick (knock on wood). However, when they do, I don’t take the chance of catching anything from them. If someone does get sick, we check with the others to see if they can fill in temporarily, and if not we have to rearrange our schedules to make do without them until either someone becomes available or the sick nurse feels well enough to come back to work.

• ryan-berhar-2

January 9, 2019 at 10:44 pm

My friend and caregiver, Sam, is sicker now. He has something weird that kinda comes and goes.