• savannah-jensen

January 18, 2019 at 6:23 pm

I have asked so many other parents about what chores I should give my SMA child.

I LOVE her idea of the knee immobilizes as a “chore” and I think that my son may want wear his more if he is getting a reward for doing so, and able to mark it off.

LOVE this! We will definitely be using some of these ideas!

• halsey-blocher

January 18, 2019 at 9:35 pm

I’ve never really been able to do laundry, but when I was little I was able to fold T-shirts and wash cloths. I also enjoyed dusting all of the surfaces that I could reach with a wet paper towel. As I got older, I figured out that I could prop a swifer against my chair and push it across the kitchen without having to hold on very tight. Hope that helps give people some ideas!

• ryan-berhar-2

January 18, 2019 at 10:46 pm

I don’t recall ever having chores as a child, but I actually think it’s a good idea. Maybe I’m going too deep with this, but I think chores—however minor they might be—can help instill a work ethic and accountability. I can only speak for myself, but I would imagine people with SMA are more prone to having a weaker work ethic, because we’re so used to everything being done for us. This was certainly the case for me. Maybe chores serve as a reminder that we actually can do something of importance. What do you all think about that?

• halsey-blocher

January 19, 2019 at 9:55 pm

I think you make a good point. It’s important to teach children with SMA that while they may need help, they should still try their best and do what they can to contribute and help others.

• kevin-schaefer

January 20, 2019 at 1:16 pm

See I’ve always been kind of the opposite. My desire to be treated equally and have the same opportunities as my able-bodied peers pushed me to work twice as hard. I’m not saying I was the ideal student in every area, and I definitely slacked on things like math and other subjects; but when it came to passions like theatre and writing I worked my tail off. This kind of perseverance carried me throughout school and into my post-college career. I accepted that I’d have to work harder than most people to achieve my goals, and it’s why I spend so much of my time writing and seeking out career opportunities.