SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Reflects On Adaptations and Limitations

• halsey-blocher

May 14, 2019 at 9:01 pm

I can really relate to making adaptations at the hair salon. My mom usually cuts my hair because it’s easiest to do when I’m laying down, something salons really can’t do. While my mom does a wonderful job, it’s nice to have it done professionally sometimes too. My mom’s stylist recently came up with a solution. Her salon also offers massages, so she approached one of the massage therapist who agreed to let us use her table on her days of so that I can lay down. It’s also in a kind of secluded room which allows privacy to disconnect my feeding tube so I can be layed on the table. It’s worked out really well!

• katie-elizabeth-napiwocki

May 17, 2019 at 12:41 pm

Hey, Halsey!  I love hearing about hair salon experiences because that seems to be a common obstacle for us!  And, the routine you describe sounds like a really awesome solution.  🙂

• deann-r

May 17, 2019 at 9:14 am

I can relate to several aspects of this article. I certainly don’t wear makeup as often as I used to, but on occasion it just feels good to glam up. I’m not that good at it, but like Katie I’ve found the tools that make it a little easier. Never have been able to do eyeliner though.

Love all the tips sprinkled throughout the article. Hoping you can share the brand of hairspray she referenced.

• katie-elizabeth-napiwocki

May 17, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Hi, DeAnn!  I’m happy to hear you’ve found some tools to make applying makeup a little easier — do you have any other tips to add?

The hairspray I’ve found with the push-forward nozzle is Tresemme.  I know it might sound strange, but I can’t push directly downward like what is typical of most hairspray cans.  With this one, I can sort of curl my finger around the back of the nozzle.  It also comes in a tiny travel-size can, which I’ve found in the mini product section at Target.  🙂