• Sponsored Post

Adapting to Life Outside Our Home With SMA

I once heard a joke that a woman’s mind is like an Internet browser that has 1000 tabs open and running at once. I laughed at the time, but came to realize that if I didn’t actually feel like this before hearing the short acronym “SMA,” I most certainly do now.

I spend much of my time pre-planning and thinking of possible problems that we may run into because of the kids’ diagnoses. I think many other SMA parents do this as well. Prior to our lives with SMA, we didn’t realize just how inaccessible the world is to those who are differently-abled.

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Katie Napiwocki.

• Author
        Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Hey everyone, here’s Katie’s latest column: https://smanewstoday.com/2019/05/13/beauty-routine-weak-hands-tips/.

There’s a lot to unpack in this piece, and I like how Katie weaved together different topics. Here she addresses physical limitations, self-image, vulnerability, and how she adapts to the loss of physical abilities. I could definitely relate to the notion of struggling to be vulnerable about how SMA affects me, though my attitude here has changed tremendously in recent years. My hand dexterity and arm strength are both significantly weaker than hers, but the section where she brought this up really stood out to me.

What takeaways do you have from this column? Can you relate to the ways that Katie adapted to her physical limitations? Did anything else here stand out to you?

Halsey Blocher
        Participant

I can really relate to making adaptations at the hair salon. My mom usually cuts my hair because it’s easiest to do when I’m laying down, something salons really can’t do. While my mom does a wonderful job, it’s nice to have it done professionally sometimes too. My mom’s stylist recently came up with a solution. Her salon also offers massages, so she approached one of the massage therapist who agreed to let us use her table on her days of so that I can lay down. It’s also in a kind of secluded room which allows privacy to disconnect my feeding tube so I can be layed on the table. It’s worked out really well!

Katie Napiwocki
          Participant

Hey, Halsey!  I love hearing about hair salon experiences because that seems to be a common obstacle for us!  And, the routine you describe sounds like a really awesome solution.  🙂

DeAnn R
        Keymaster

I can relate to several aspects of this article. I certainly don’t wear makeup as often as I used to, but on occasion it just feels good to glam up. I’m not that good at it, but like Katie I’ve found the tools that make it a little easier. Never have been able to do eyeliner though.

Love all the tips sprinkled throughout the article. Hoping you can share the brand of hairspray she referenced.

Katie Napiwocki
          Participant

Hi, DeAnn!  I’m happy to hear you’ve found some tools to make applying makeup a little easier — do you have any other tips to add?

The hairspray I’ve found with the push-forward nozzle is Tresemme.  I know it might sound strange, but I can’t push directly downward like what is typical of most hairspray cans.  With this one, I can sort of curl my finger around the back of the nozzle.  It also comes in a tiny travel-size can, which I’ve found in the mini product section at Target.  🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.