Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Brianna Albers
      Keymaster

Happy Tuesday! Sherry and I decided to coordinate our columns for SMA Awareness Month — we wrote about choosing to stay disabled and, more importantly, the implications of that choice. You can read the column here.

In an ideal world, would you choose to stay disabled?

Blake Watson
      Participant

I haven’t been here long but I always enjoy your articles and writing style. Hypothetical questions are one of my favorite things. It’s fun to be able to construct an alternate reality where anything is possible (D&D anyone?).

Hypothetically I think I would go for the magical cure. It would be weird for sure and it might pull me away from some social circles. That said, it would be a flood of new experiences and that seems really exciting to me. I would have the perspective of both worlds. I’m sure it would cause an existential crisis but hopefully one that ends in personal growth.

I sometimes imagine a sort of reversed version of this hypothetical question—what would I be like now if I had not been born with SMA? That’s a scarier thought experiment because it involves missing out on all the things that make me me. Would I have been a jock? A bully? Would I be less geeky? Would I still have learned web development. Would I have been less creative? Would alternate me be able to understand real me at all? It’s hard to imagine.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account