SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Being Content Staying at Home

• halsey-blocher

August 27, 2019 at 9:41 pm

I personally love to travel! We’re fortunate to have a large van (almost more like a bus) that all of my equipment fits in so that we can travel. It’s pretty hard on my body to go anywhere farther than a two day drive, but that still gives us a lot of option. We also have a really good care team who will stay with me so that my parents can go on an occasional trip by themselves. I’m also really looking forward to accessible planes. I would really love to travel out of the country, which is difficult without flying.

• deann-r

August 29, 2019 at 11:00 am

Honestly I do wish it was easier to travel.  I envy those who can just go somewhere on a whim.  With that being said I am happy and supportive to others traveling.  While my Dad was alive my parents went to Niagara Falls, Egypt, Alaska and Canada on their own.  Those are trips I couldn’t muster so I’m happy they were able to go.  I would like to plan a trip with my Mom on Amtrak or something but don’t even know where to start with planning such a venture.

As far as being content at home, I am to an extent.  It’s hard though because we’ve already had a few cool days in Minnesota and I’m dreading winter.  It reignites the desire to move, although I’m conflicted about that as well because my home setup is pretty good.