• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DeAnn R 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
       Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

Hey everyone, here’s Kala’s newest column. She talks about being content with staying home while her parents travel. Honestly, this has always been a bit of a sore spot for me. I wouldn’t say I have wanderlust, but my inability to travel more bugs me. Hopefully airplanes become accessible soon, and traveling becomes more feasible. Where do you guys land? Do you want to travel more or are you content staying home?

Sometimes My Parents Need to Travel, But I Love Staying at Home

Halsey Blocher 
      Participant

I personally love to travel! We’re fortunate to have a large van (almost more like a bus) that all of my equipment fits in so that we can travel. It’s pretty hard on my body to go anywhere farther than a two day drive, but that still gives us a lot of option. We also have a really good care team who will stay with me so that my parents can go on an occasional trip by themselves. I’m also really looking forward to accessible planes. I would really love to travel out of the country, which is difficult without flying.

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

Honestly I do wish it was easier to travel.  I envy those who can just go somewhere on a whim.  With that being said I am happy and supportive to others traveling.  While my Dad was alive my parents went to Niagara Falls, Egypt, Alaska and Canada on their own.  Those are trips I couldn’t muster so I’m happy they were able to go.  I would like to plan a trip with my Mom on Amtrak or something but don’t even know where to start with planning such a venture.

As far as being content at home, I am to an extent.  It’s hard though because we’ve already had a few cool days in Minnesota and I’m dreading winter.  It reignites the desire to move, although I’m conflicted about that as well because my home setup is pretty good.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.