SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Columnist Writes About Characters With Disabilities in Fiction

• Columnist Writes About Characters With Disabilities in Fiction

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 29, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a great week so far.

Here’s Kala’s latest column: https://smanewstoday.com/2019/05/28/disabled-characters-fiction/. This is a topic I’m very interested in, and I’ve written about it before as well.

In terms of whether to make stories about characters with disabilities realistic, or if it’s acceptable to take liberties in fantasy and sci-fi stories, I can see both sides of the spectrum.

I’m actually working on two graphic novel scripts that feature characters with disabilities. One is a more realistic sci-fi piece about a young woman with SMA who takes part in an experimental artificial intelligence program, and it deals with ableism and dating and disability. The other is a more over-the-top post-apocalyptic comic about a gunslinger who has ALS. It’s in the vein of Mad Max, and it definitely takes liberties and embraces a lot of comic book tropes.

That said, I can see an argument for both. What matters to me is that the characters are authentic, even if some liberties are taken in regards to their disabilities.

What do you all think though? Do you have any favorite stories that deal with characters with disabilities?

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ryan-berhar

May 29, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Interesting question. Considering we’re talking about fiction, I think it’s reasonable  to take certain liberties. Readers will understand that this isn’t intended to be an entirely accurate depiction of disability. Obviously, obstacles associated with disability should still be present, though, or else what’s the point?