• Sponsored Post

Adapting to Life Outside Our Home With SMA

I once heard a joke that a woman’s mind is like an Internet browser that has 1000 tabs open and running at once. I laughed at the time, but came to realize that if I didn’t actually feel like this before hearing the short acronym “SMA,” I most certainly do now.

I spend much of my time pre-planning and thinking of possible problems that we may run into because of the kids’ diagnoses. I think many other SMA parents do this as well. Prior to our lives with SMA, we didn’t realize just how inaccessible the world is to those who are differently-abled.

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Ryan Berhar.

• Author
        Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a great week so far.

Here’s Kala’s latest column: https://smanewstoday.com/2019/05/28/disabled-characters-fiction/. This is a topic I’m very interested in, and I’ve written about it before as well.

In terms of whether to make stories about characters with disabilities realistic, or if it’s acceptable to take liberties in fantasy and sci-fi stories, I can see both sides of the spectrum.

I’m actually working on two graphic novel scripts that feature characters with disabilities. One is a more realistic sci-fi piece about a young woman with SMA who takes part in an experimental artificial intelligence program, and it deals with ableism and dating and disability. The other is a more over-the-top post-apocalyptic comic about a gunslinger who has ALS. It’s in the vein of Mad Max, and it definitely takes liberties and embraces a lot of comic book tropes.

That said, I can see an argument for both. What matters to me is that the characters are authentic, even if some liberties are taken in regards to their disabilities.

What do you all think though? Do you have any favorite stories that deal with characters with disabilities?

Ryan Berhar
        Participant

Interesting question. Considering we’re talking about fiction, I think it’s reasonable  to take certain liberties. Readers will understand that this isn’t intended to be an entirely accurate depiction of disability. Obviously, obstacles associated with disability should still be present, though, or else what’s the point?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.