SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Frozen Breakfast Food and Rediscovering Old Joys

• kelly-miller

February 9, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Fantastic article Brianna! It really made me think about those special moments in relationships that were part of my memory-bank because of a particular nostalgia. While you made my mouth water with toaster strudels, it was not just this but other things also that I shared with my maternal grandmother when she lived with our family for 13 years of my life. Most teens now don’t want much to do with their families, but it was a different time for us baby boomers. My Gran (her name after graduating from Nanny) and I bonded over all kinds of comfort foods. I was a budding foodie before either of us knew, or had even heard of, the term. She taught her third eldest grandchild about the staples of good Southern cooking. We loved a little squash casserole, ripe tomato sandwiches, and meatloaf with mashed potatoes, preferably all in one day. She was patient and caring as she explained what she was doing. We also shared conversation during this making of heartfelt food combinations. She was the only adult I ever let into my private world of friends and crushes. And she never abused that sacred trust. I think she’d be very proud of who I am today: a decent, intelligent, happy foodie.

• brianna-albers

February 17, 2021 at 3:25 pm

Aw! I love this, Kelly. It really is amazing what sticks with us. Also, I gotta say – meatloaf and mashed potatoes sounds so good right now!