SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Her Definition of Happiness

• Columnist Writes About Her Definition of Happiness

Posted by brianna-albers on September 17, 2019 at 11:00 am

Happy Tuesday!

My column for September is about happiness. I’ve been thinking a lot about the topic and how happiness differs from person to person, and even from age to age. For example, as a teenager, I had very specific ideas as to how happiness would look like, ideas that were largely influenced by all the romcoms I grew up with as a kid. Unsurprisingly, those ideas aren’t as applicable now. 

Of course, I’ll never “move on” from those ideals, not entirely. They’re an integral part of who I am. But over the years I’ve come to embrace new definitions of happiness. They’re not what I imagined growing up, but they’re just as valid. I’d even go so far as to say they’re more valid because they’re specific to me. 

What does happiness look like to you?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • halsey-blocher

September 17, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Oh my gosh, Brianna I love this! All of your movie references are sending my spiraling back into my own childhood fantasies!

While fantasies are great, I love that you’ve found happiness in your real life too! I think it’s so important to embrace our less than perfect lives, and love them as they are until parts of them start to feel like they might actually be some kind of real life fantasy!