SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About MS Diagnosis

• angel

October 8, 2019 at 10:02 pm

When I read her first article about the initial health problem I was a bit dismayed. But I guess many of us have had to endure more than one diagnosis. When I was 11, I was diagnosed with stargardt’s disease, chronic kidney stone at 18 and H. pylori at 21. Each one has taken its toll, , but I guess SMA teaches us earlier on how to adapt and overcome. We all have different ways of coping and dealing. I personally pray, and I will for Kala. I know after reading some of her book, that may not be her particular method. But I have found that believing in something bigger than the frailty of our own existence can help put my suffering into perspective. Sometimes crying out to God (with a suction machine close at hand) truly does offer some peace, and occasionally healing. However, I am not above temporary fixes like music, laughter, pain relieving substances, creative endeavors, stimulating encounters and good ol’ entertainment escapism. How do the rest of you cope, find solace and comfort and/or overcome?

• ryan-berhar

October 8, 2019 at 10:11 pm

I completely agree! My faith is what sustains me. Life is extremely difficult, but I believe God left me here to finish running this race. When I sort of just want it to end, that is what lifts me up.

• deann-r

October 11, 2019 at 11:23 am

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like when you have SMA it kind of prepares you for other challenges. Although one diagnosis is plenty, it maybe allows a person to take another diagnosis in stride or at least lessens the impact. I’m sure each diagnosis has its own implications, but like Kala implies having SMA has taught me how to adapt and accept. You gotta do what you gotta do.

• ryan-berhar

October 11, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Yeah I agree. Our lives with SMA are already challenging, so we’re probably more equipped to handle additional diagnoses.