SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About New Wheelchair Process

• Columnist Writes About New Wheelchair Process

Posted by alyssa-silva on February 17, 2020 at 7:00 am

Happy Monday, everyone! As you all heard first, I got a new wheelchair at the end of 2019 and shared some of my woes in this thread here. Besides this forum, I wanted to take the opportunity to write a full-length column about it.

I actually wrote this piece about 4 weeks ago. I knew I wouldn’t be submitting it to my editors until around now, but I wanted to write while I was in the thick of this transition. As I’m sure you know, getting a new wheelchair is anything but easy. So, the intent behind my column was to show that I, too, had my fair share of obstacles.

A couple of updates since this column was written:

• My wheelchair guy accidentally broke my joystick while making adjustments. I was without a chair for 5 days. The guy felt TERRIBLE, but whaddya going to do?
    • The seat took lots of adjusting— I just didn’t feel comfortable in it for some reason. After many minor (and I mean millimeter minor) shifts, ibuprofen for pain caused by my seat, and patience, I think we finally got it right.
    • My assistant accidentally backed up into the wheelchair guy’s truck in her car. Wish I were kidding. It’s never a dull moment around here, but fortunately, everyone is okay.
    • You are able to adjust the sensitivity of a mini joystick!
    • After 6 long weeks, I’m finally beginning to feel more “me” in that chair.

Again, I’ll leave the link to my column here. Can you relate?

deann-r replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • aladanh

February 17, 2020 at 8:18 am

I really wanted to send a small word to say thanks to you for the fantastic points you are writing on this site.

gmail sign up

• halsey-blocher

February 17, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Glad to hear you’re starting to get adjusted to your new chair! It’s definitely something that takes some time!

• deann-r

February 18, 2020 at 10:58 am

I’ve been going to start the process for the last year. Just dreading it. I want to get a new one while this one’s in working order so it can be my backup. Glad you’re slowly getting things how you want them.