SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA Columnist Writes About SMA Stories

• Columnist Writes About SMA Stories

Posted by brianna-albers on February 25, 2020 at 12:00 pm

Hi everyone! For Rare Disease Day, I wrote about one of my favorite stories. Long story short, my service dog accidentally pulled my G-tube out. We had to schedule a gastro procedure to put it back, but anesthesia issues — of course — meant that, instead of knocking me out, I had to rely completely on laughing gas. Unsurprisingly, I didn’t do much laughing.

This column is a little graphic, so watch out for that! If you’re not up for reading about surgery trauma (I wouldn’t blame you), let me know in the comments what your rarest SMA story is. I love hearing about what makes people rare!

brianna-albers replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

February 25, 2020 at 12:25 pm

I like your take on what makes you rare. Certainly a unique story to tell. I always worry my cat will get tangled up in the tubing and pull mine out. Hasn’t happened yet. She did sprain my ankle though by leaning on my joystick and driving me into a futon. I laugh that my dog broke my arm and my cat sprained my ankle. Sounds far fetched, but true!

• alyssa-silva

February 26, 2020 at 9:36 am

I don’t know that my brain is up to sorting through the many rare moments in my life right now, but glad you were ok after the g tube fiasco!  I liked your little twist at the end about how maybe it’s the stories that make us rare and not so much us.

Ps- My service dog is part lab and EXTREMELY driven by food. I was told it’s part genetics and part a female dog thing.

• brianna-albers

February 27, 2020 at 8:13 pm

Oof! I always sprained my ankle once because a neighborhood dog wrapped himself around my chair ???? Not fun!

• brianna-albers

February 27, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Omg that’s so funny! I mean, I can’t really blame either of our dogs – I’m also a hungry girl!