SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Combating Antibiotic Side Effects

• Combating Antibiotic Side Effects

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 22, 2021 at 11:03 am

Hi all. Without diving into the full story, I have to go on an antibiotic for an ear infection that has been going on for 6+ weeks now. Antibiotics are an absolute last resort for me because of how much havoc they wreak on my GI tract. For context, I haven’t taken an antibiotic in years because the last time I did, I became violently ill with gastric pain for 3 months.

Needless to say, I’m not looking forward to this. But I’ve been feeling horrible anyway, so it’s time to treat this thing once and for all. Do you have any recommendations on how to treat my stomach in hopes of combating some of the side effects?

I will be taking Carafate to coat my stomach hours before the med. I’m afraid to take miralax in case the med causes diarrhea, but if the opposite occurs, I will. I’ll be keeping a close eye on it either way.

Anything else I should keep in mind? Up my prebiotic intake? Foods? Supplements? Send. Help.

alyssa-silva replied 3 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kelly-miller

April 22, 2021 at 12:06 pm

I use ginger if the problem is nausea.

• alyssa-silva

April 22, 2021 at 2:49 pm

That’s a good idea. Thanks!

• yvette-haas

April 22, 2021 at 6:35 pm

I take probiotics every day, but DEFINITELY suggest them for anyone taking antibiotics.

Don’t bother with anything that is not refrigerated. There are lots of pricey options at the pharmacy, but that doesn’t mean they are worthwhile. I get mine at a local health food store, and opt for powder over capsules. My naturopath advised me to do 10billion CFU every day, for maintenance, but I do more when needed.

• alyssa-silva

April 22, 2021 at 8:45 pm

Someone recently told me about the refrigerated thing— I had no ideas! That’s another great tip, do you have any recommendations? Bonus points if it’s on Amazon haha.