SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Cost Comparison between Spinraza & Zolgensma

• lupa-f

May 25, 2019 at 8:22 pm

There’s an error in the article when it’s comparing costs. It says “Novartis pointed out that chronic injections of Spinraza cost more than $4 million over five years” which we know isn’t true. Even counting the most expensive first year, it adds up to $2.25 million. Either the author misquoted Novartis or Novartis is using different numbers, but that $4 million number should be for over 10 years.

• deann-r

May 26, 2019 at 8:23 am

Yes, you are correct. I’m wondering if they were factoring in hospital and procedure costs.

• lupa-f

May 26, 2019 at 11:43 am

My injections and labs for each dose end up costing about $4000 or so I think on top of the Spinraza cost, but I don’t have to have anything special done since I don’t have any spinal fusions or rods. To make that $4 million over 5 yeas number correct, each dose would need about an extra $100,000 added on for the procedure which even in the worst case I doubt it’s anywhere near that.

A lot of these articles seem to be pretty sloppy when recapping this stuff. I find it’s best to just go off the official company press releases because they have to be accurate since they are public companies.

edit: oops meant to do a reply to DeAnn, but hopefully it’s obvious what I’m responding to.