SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA New Column: Curiosity and Sweet Moments Build Special Bonds

• New Column: Curiosity and Sweet Moments Build Special Bonds

Posted by brianna-albers on June 24, 2019 at 7:00 am

Happy Monday, everyone!

Alyssa’s latest column is up. In “Curiosity and Sweet Moments Build Special Bonds,” Alyssa talks about her 8-year-old cousin, Jackson, who knows about her SMA — to a certain extent — but doesn’t let it affect his relationship with her. Their bond has changed over the years, but Alyssa says that, despite his age, Jackson never fails to show her compassion and empathy.

I love spending time with kids. It can be exhausting, especially for an introvert like myself, but it’s also refreshing. Kids can tell there’s something “off” about me, but they don’t know the specifics, and what’s more, they don’t care. Like Alyssa says in her column, they see my wheelchair as a toy, something to covet, as opposed to a mobility assistance device that’s more or less taboo. I wish adults were more like kids when it comes to interacting with disabled people!

Do you have kids in your life that you enjoy interacting with?

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ryan-berhar

June 24, 2019 at 6:06 pm

I’m the oldest of my siblings and cousins, so all of them. Since they’ve all been around me since they were born, my condition isn’t foreign to them, which is nice.