• Posted by lindsay-russell on December 24, 2023 at 11:12 am

Does anyone have any positive experiences with meeting people on dating apps? I’ve been thinking about joining one but I’m scared lol. My friends want me to join one and want to create a profile for me. I’ve never dated or had a boyfriend before so I’m nervous. I’ve also heard bad stories from people in a wheelchair who have used dating apps. I’m also just scared of meeting people online and not knowing who they are, like what if they’re a serial killer or a stalker lol.

mike-volkman replied 3 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Nate88

December 27, 2023 at 10:53 pm

I’ve been dating an amazing gal who matched with me on Hinge. That’s why I think dating apps are worth a try for anyone with SMA who’s interested in a relationship. Give it a shot!

• kevin-schaefer

December 30, 2023 at 2:43 pm

I personally haven’t had luck with them but I know plenty of Disabled people who have. I’d say give it a try.

• alyssa-silva

January 2, 2024 at 10:28 am

I haven’t had much luck either but I also never really put too much time or effort into it. I’d give up after a few days. 😂 But I say go for it. Even if a relationship doesn’t come out of it, it’s great practice just talking to someone and holding a conversation with them. And it’s waaay less pressure than having to do it face to face.

• mike-volkman

January 22, 2024 at 8:31 am

20 years ago I set up profiles in the dating websites. I did it both ways, not mentioning my disability and writing openly about my advocacy work. It didn’t seem to make a difference. It’s easier for women because guys always make the first move. My close friend posted her profile. Guys responded to her picture and didn’t even read what she wrote about her disability. When they contacted her, the correspondence continued until they got to that one thing. Then they disappeared.

This is the important part: don’t be scared. If just mentioning your disability chases people away, consider that to be a filter protecting you. The perfect is the enemy of the good. If they are prejudiced enough not to even give you the time of day, then that is a lot better than wasting months or weeks with these jerks and having them break your heart later after you have already invested much of yourself into them for nothing.

And like Dr. Ruth said on the radio back in the 80s, your chances are much greater if you get out there and get involved in activities which attract people who have things in common with you.