SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 1 of #31DaysofSMA: Surviving Law School While Grappling With Illness

• Day 1 of #31DaysofSMA: Surviving Law School While Grappling With Illness

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 2, 2022 at 9:25 am

Hey everyone, and happy SMA month!

We’re excited to kick off our 31 Days of SMA campaign with Shaniqua Granby’s story. Shaniqua writes about her experiences in law school, and how she managed life with SMA. With the support of family and friends and with a spirit of determination, she was able to pursue her dream.

Here’s an excerpt, “Thus, as the adventurous person that I am by attending a law school outside of my home state of Virginia, I relied on my grandmother and a close family friend, whom I consider a second mom and who lived in Durham, North Carolina, to help take care of my physical and health needs. My grandmother would travel from Virginia to wash my clothes, clean my apartment, help me shower and dress, take me grocery shopping, and more. Moreover, my family friend took me to church, brunch, and sometimes grocery shopping.”

Do you have any takeaways from Shaniqua’s story?

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

kevin-schaefer replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

August 2, 2022 at 10:12 am

I have a feeling I’ll be saying this a lot, but I love her story. At that point in her life it would have been so easy just to throw in the towel. Having to rely on others to help accomplish something can make you feel like a burden. I’m glad to see she felt supported and was able to get that degree. Well done Shaniqua!

• kevin-schaefer

August 3, 2022 at 8:49 am

It’s a great story. I enjoyed meeting Shaniqua and many other contributors this year at the conference.

• alyssa-silva

August 3, 2022 at 10:02 am

Shaniqua sounds so awesome! I love the advice she gives at the end about being kind to one another. Getting help from others is half the battle. Does anyone know what type of law she practices?

• kevin-schaefer

August 4, 2022 at 12:21 pm

She has a focus on civil rights. @sgranby90 tagging you here.