SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 14 of #31DaysofSMA: Having Such a Tightknit Community Makes All the Difference

• Day 14 of #31DaysofSMA: Having Such a Tightknit Community Makes All the Difference

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 15, 2022 at 7:48 pm
    Amber Joi-Watkins’s daughter, Céline, was diagnosed with SMA type 1 in December 2018, when she was 6 months old.

Amber has been in touch with so many families and individuals affected by SMA virtually, and she describes this bond as… “indescribable.”

However, the power of seeing these same people in the flesh is unmatched, and that’s what happened at this year’s Cure SMA Conference.

“I felt a special sense of pride in the SMA community and the way in which we are empowered together.”

Amber, thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

Now back to our SMA community, did you go to Cure SMA? How was your experience?

Click here to read the rest of Amber and Céline’s story and find out more about their experience at this year’s Cure SMA Conference.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

deann-r replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

August 17, 2022 at 5:33 pm

I didn’t go to this year’s conference but have been in years past. I couldn’t agree with Amber more. I feel like a broken record when I say this community is so awesome and has helped me navigate so much. But it’s true!

• deann-r

August 17, 2022 at 10:13 pm

Céline was in that music video right? I loved her sassy walk. Even though I’ve never been to a conference I do feel the sense of community. I can see how conference can be a place to just let go for a moment.