SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 19 of #31DaysOfSMA: Here’s Why Diverse Representation Matters

• Day 19 of #31DaysOfSMA: Here’s Why Diverse Representation Matters

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 22, 2022 at 4:45 pm

Shailynn Taylor is a 26-year-old entrepreneur, university graduate, public speaker, and model, and she lives with SMA type 2.

Shailynn remembers what the lack of representation in all aspects of her life felt like as a kid. There were no TV shows, musicians, or anyone she could identify with.

Shailynn has strived to paint a different picture for kids to come. Through public speaking and diversity modeling, she is not only building her dream life but also proving that diverse representation in all aspects of life matters.

We salute you Shailynn!

Now back to our SMA community, is there anyone on social media, or TV, you identify with?

Click here to read the rest of Shailynn’s story and find out more about her life with SMA.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

August 22, 2022 at 6:47 pm

I know I say this about everyone we have featured thus far, but Shailynn is awesome. She’s super kind and a great advocate for others with disabilities. We have connected over the years on Instagram. There isn’t anyone on TV that I identify with, but I have to say I think media representation, especially in Hollywood, is lacking. Social media is a different story, though. There are many people, including my SMA peers, with whom I identify and relate well.