SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 2 of #31DaysofSMA: Facing My Challenges in Becoming a Mom

• Day 2 of #31DaysofSMA: Facing My Challenges in Becoming a Mom

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 3, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Megan DeJarnett remembers being around 10 years old when she heard the doctor tell her parents that the average life expectancy of someone living with SMA type 2 was around 15 years. Yet Megan was raised that no matter what life threw at her, she could take on the challenges.

At age 23, Megan and her high school sweetheart began planning for a family. The question was “What was parenting going to look like for someone with SMA with limited mobility, complete dependency on others, and much more?”

She soon got her answer. Megan now has two children.

“I get to give my children a chance to view life through some different lenses. I get to use my voice, which is one of my greatest strengths, to love, to care for, to teach and encourage, and to raise some wonderful children.”

Thanks for sharing your story with us Megan!

Now back to our SMA community, do you have any takeaways from Megan’s story?

To read the rest of Megan’s story, and learn more about her motherhood and SMA, click here.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

kevin-schaefer replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

August 3, 2022 at 8:00 pm

I love Megan! She and I connected a few years ago on social media, and she’s the sweetest. I love all the pictures she posts of her boys— she and her husband are relationship goals, too. Megan also runs her own business called No Such Thing!

• kevin-schaefer

August 4, 2022 at 12:14 pm

I love her story! We were on a panel together at the conference this year.

• alyssa-silva

August 5, 2022 at 5:50 pm

That’s right! I hope to meet you both IRL one day! ????

• kevin-schaefer

August 8, 2022 at 8:57 am

Absolutely!