SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 20 of #31DaysofSMA: Sometimes Our Minds Are the Barrier — Not SMA

• Day 20 of #31DaysofSMA: Sometimes Our Minds Are the Barrier — Not SMA

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 22, 2022 at 6:21 pm
    Ross Hovey has not often let SMA hold him back. But there are regrets. He wishes he’d lived the proper “uni life” and moved away from home but he was too worried about a nonfamily member doing personal care.His other disappointment is not finding love yet, and he believes living with family until 30, the way he presented himself and his disability, and certain expectations may have influenced this.

“These regrets have nothing to do with my disability; they’re the result of all the barriers I have made. My message to readers is that SMA will not hold you back in life, but your mind can.

Thank you for being so honest with this community, Ross!

Now back to our SMA community, how do you feel about Ross’ words?

Click here to read the rest of Ross’s story and find out more about his life with SMA.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

deann-r replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

August 23, 2022 at 7:40 pm

I definitely think Ross has a point when he says, “SMA will not hold you back in life, but your mind can.” That being said, there are definitely some things I want to do in life that SMA holds me back from. One is traveling to different countries. My body could never keep up. But I understand the point he is trying to make. There’s so much that we’re capable of, it’s important that we have an open mind about it.

• deann-r

August 24, 2022 at 9:32 am

We often hold ourselves back. For me, especially as I’ve gotten older, I find some things aren’t worth the time and effort it would take. Plus I don’t have the support network I used to. I suppose you could argue this as holding myself back, but I just don’t don’t have the energy to build that robust network. Again is it SMA holding me back or is it me?