SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 24 of #31DaysofSMA: If We Fear the Unknown, We Overlook Opportunities for Happiness

• Day 24 of #31DaysofSMA: If We Fear the Unknown, We Overlook Opportunities for Happiness

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 25, 2022 at 10:25 am

Maddy Gunawan received her diagnosis of SMA Type 2 just before her second birthday. At the time, her parents faced a wealth of uncertainty. They had just immigrated to a new country, had their first child, and were thrown into SMA’s void with no support system.

In time, Maddy and her parents learned to adapt to life with SMA. She went to college, lived independently, and accomplished other goals she had for herself. Though she still wrestles with the uncertainties of life with SMA, she’s excited about her future.

Here’s an excerpt, “Two decades ago, I never could’ve imagined the life I’m living today. I’ve defied expectations, both scientifically and personally. I hope that we stop defaulting to negativity in our uncertainties and instead start dreaming of all the things that will be in our favor.”

Click here to read Maddy’s full story.

Do you have any takeaways from Maddy’s story? How do you deal with uncertainty?

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

August 26, 2022 at 5:55 pm

I like how Maddy brings up the idea that if she had let doubt control her all her life, then she wouldn’t be where she is today. Ever since the pandemic started, a lot of doubt has surfaced in my life, too. But she’s so right. If I had let doubt narrate my life, I wouldn’t have accomplished all that I have in thirty years. Great perspective.