SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 30 of #31DaysofSMA Topic: Why We Will Never Give Up

• Day 30 of #31DaysofSMA Topic: Why We Will Never Give Up

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 31, 2022 at 5:46 pm

This is Tyler and Dara Bailey’s story:

Dara Bailey has never viewed her life with SMA as being different than the lives of other people. Growing up, she had plenty of goals. She went to college and obtained a master’s degree in marriage and family therapy. She went on to work with younger children in schools, listening, lifting them up, and providing tools to aid in their success.

Dara’s strength and stamina are what drew Tyler to her. Together they built gizmos and gadgets, and eventually full-on wheelchairs.

They have been together for 10 years, and own and operate a custom wheelchair fabrication shop.

“As we move forward in life, I know we will be challenged. There will be moments when waving the white flag sounds reasonable. But we will not. We will never give up.”

Dara and Tyler, you are a dream team!

Now back to our SMA community, what or who inspires you to move forward?

Click here to read the rest of Dara and Tyler’s story and find out more about their life with SMA.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign has published one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

deann-r replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

August 31, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Omg! I just met a little boy with SMA a few weeks ago at a football game who had one of their wheelchairs! It was awesome…. so sleek. So cool to read their story now.

• deann-r

September 1, 2022 at 1:23 pm

What an awesome couple. I love how he recognizes her determination and wants to be a part of not only her success but their success. Now I want to see their custom creations.