SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 9 of #31DaysofSMA: Learning About the Wonders of the World

• Day 9 of #31DaysofSMA: Learning About the Wonders of the World

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 10, 2022 at 5:32 pm

George Wang believes that in today’s world, there’s something out there for people with any level of ability. Realizing that he would struggle with a physically demanding career, provided him with the motivation to knuckle up on academics, and learn about the laws of the universe, new treatments for neurodegenerative conditions like SMA, and improving the world little by little.

Today, he’s at Cornell University working toward a doctoral degree. He uses experimental physics to investigate the structures and dynamics of tiny molecules within cells, such as RNA and proteins.

“You are only as “disabled” as you perceive you are.”

Thank you George for sharing your story with us!

Now back to our SMA community, have you found ways to re-direct your abilities?

Click here to read the rest of George’s story and learn more about his academic journey.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

August 11, 2022 at 10:39 am

My level of ability has certainly shifted my focus throughout the years. Sometimes it’s hard not to dwell on things you can’t do, but I’ve learned it’s such a waste of time when there’s so much more I can be doing. It sounds like George figured that out early on. Wow, he has ambition. I think I need a nap, lol.

• alyssa-silva

August 11, 2022 at 9:36 pm

I think one of the biggest lessons my disability has to me is to adapt, or in George’s words, redirect. We may have more challenges in life, but we’re adaptable enough to overcome them. Great to hear what he has done with his life.