This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Schaefer 12 months ago.

• Author
     Kevin Schaefer 
    Keymaster

Hello everyone. I wanted to repost my column from this week here. I wrote about coping with the mental and emotional effects of living with SMA. This is just from my perspective, and I wrote about what helped me personally get through a rough time in my life. However, I hope that it might spark a discussion on this subject. I know it’s not easy to talk about, but nonetheless we all have had to deal with the hardships of SMA. Let me know your thoughts here.

Here is my column: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/01/30/sma-mental-defense-3-things-that-helped-me-combat-emotional-tolls/

Kelly Miller 
    Participant

Very well written Kevin. A lot of what you said is things I’ve learned along the way also. I went to counseling when I was in college and it definitely helped me over a hump of feeling dejected about my future as an employee and spouse. I’ve since had a career and celebrate 20 years of marriage. Having these things be successful has not stopped me from having bouts of anxiety & depression. The anxiety usually comes in relation to medical issues. The depression seems to come without a reason in particular. I’ve recently started taking an antidepressant and my doctor thinks this will help me. She says that as an individual with a very severe, chronic disability, I have to face lots of situations that can cause depression. I didn’t want to take it because I always felt like I was stronger than that but I realized that we all need a little help in one form or another. There’s no shame in asking for help!

Kevin Schaefer 
      Keymaster

Thanks for commenting Kelly! Yeah I think it’s an important topic to discuss, even though it’s difficult. For me, acquiring caregivers helped tremendously. But even when I’m doing well, I think it’s important for me to continually apply the methods that I talk about in this article. It’s easy for me to get stressed out if I’m not careful, and I have to make sure to give myself downtime and to not overwhelm myself.

Thanks again for contributing! Great discussion.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.