SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Determining Caregiver Schedules

• Determining Caregiver Schedules

Posted by kevin-schaefer on June 24, 2018 at 9:00 am

Having worked with CNAs for the past four years, I’ve had both overnight care and caregivers who have come at different points during the day. There are pros and cons to both, and really it just comes down to whatever works best for you and how many hours you get or can afford.

For those of you who have caregivers though, what kind of schedules do you have with them? Do you only use government hours or do you pay out of pocket? Do you have a caregiver who lives with you?

michael-morale replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • michael-morale

June 26, 2018 at 8:28 am

I consider myself extremely fortunate. The caregiver that I had for nearly 5 years always involved her parents. Her family became my family. Her parents live with me and they are now my primary caregivers. While they don’t necessarily stay with me every hour of every day, I never have to worry about somebody not be here to help me. Finding a good caregiver can be extremely stressful. Trust me, I went through many caregivers before I finally found the ones who help take care of me now. When you can say that you trust your life in the hands of your caregivers, this is a huge burden that can be lifted from your shoulders. Fortunately, I’m lucky enough to say this.