SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Difficulties with socializing and SMA

• Difficulties with socializing and SMA

Posted by deann-r on June 22, 2023 at 8:41 am

I’m a little out of practice when it comes to social gatherings. Last week I attended my niece’s graduation party. Let’s just say I haven’t been around that many people since pre-pandemic.

Thankfully, it was held outdoors, making it a little more comfortable. On Wednesday, I was coughing but it had more to do with the smoky air from the Canadian wildfires. Does poor air quality bother anyone else?

Typically, in a crowd, I find an out-of-the-way table and park it. Mom knows what I like so she’ll grab me a plate. If folks want to socialize, they must come to me. Some do, and some don’t. At this point in my life, I don’t care if others view it as anti-social.

When you’re at a party or gathering, do you find it difficult to socialize?

tammy replied 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

June 24, 2023 at 1:16 pm

For sure. It’s difficult for me to talk over the noise and have people hear me. Lately, I’ve been bringing my voice amplifier to parties which has helped a lot.

I also consider myself an extroverted introvert. I know that’s an oxymoron, but it makes sense to me. Sometimes I’ll mingle. Other times I’ll stay in my little corner depending on how I feel. But post-pandemic I haven’t mingled much and just let people flock to me.

What is it about socializing that you find difficult?

• deann-r

June 27, 2023 at 10:56 am

I guess a lot of the time I feel like I’m in the way. Even though I know people can go around I never want to block a pathway or be a bother. Totally not rational but for some reason ingrained in me.

• tammy

June 25, 2023 at 7:05 pm

I guess I would have to say I’ve always been a very social person even as a kid. All the way up until pre-pandemic. My job also requires socializing LOL. But I also think it’s just my personality. Last year I started going out and doing a lot more after hibernating for the first year except for going to work of course. I went out last weekend for the first time indoors without a mask on to see my good friends band play at a bar, and even though I was a little hesitant about it it kind of felt nice to be back to normal. I still wear a mask to work but I made an exception for that night. One of my other friends who I hadn’t seen in a long time met me there, and another friend of mine who lives an hour away drove down to meet me there as well since we are all friends. I almost was going to talk myself out of going just out of pure laziness LOL as I think we’ve all become accustomed to being home more since the pandemic. But I’m glad I made myself go because it was actually a really good time and my friend was pretty happy that I came to see his band

• deann-r

June 27, 2023 at 10:59 am

Sounds like fun. What kind of music?

• tammy

June 30, 2023 at 8:40 pm

They are a cover band. All rock music. A mix of 80’s and 90’s mostly