SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA Disability in Pop-Culture

• Disability in Pop-Culture

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 11, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Media representation is a hot topic in today’s society, and recently there have been strives to include disability representation into this conversation. Between TV shows like the ABC sitcom Speechless and the hashtag #DisTheOscars, people are talking more and more about how people with disabilities are represented in popular media.

I wanted to ask if you all have any recommendations of books, TV shows, music or movies which you find to be positive and accurate representations of people with disabilities. I know they can be hard to find, but I think it helps to promote the media examples that do exist.

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • kelly-miller

April 12, 2018 at 1:16 pm

One of the movies I saw a very long time ago that is still a favorite of mine is Passion Fish. Not only is it about a woman who becomes disabled and struggles with the emotions that come from suddenly not being able to do things for yourself, but it also is about the caregiver who comes into her life at just the right time. They end up helping each other through a rough part of life. I liked the way it showed that we can help others as much as they help us. It may not be physical help but it’s just as important!

Kelly

• kevin-schaefer

April 12, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Thanks for the recommendation Kelly! I’ll be sure to check this one out.

• deann-r

April 12, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Was looking for a good movie  to watch this weekend.  Will definitely have to check out Passion Fish.  Thanks Kelly!

Has anyone read or watched Me Before You?  I read the book and watched the movie.  Sounds like a similar concept as the one you recommended.  Not my favorite although the book was better than the movie.  Just bothered me that he could never come to terms with his disability.  Maybe it’s different when you haven’t grown up with it your whole life?

• kevin-schaefer

April 15, 2018 at 5:56 pm

Yeah the suicide plot line in that one does bother me, mainly because of the way it’s romanticized. And yeah it’s getting better, but so many of the disability stories out there are about paralytics. We need more stories about people like us who were born with a disability.

I did see “A Quiet Place” this week, which is cool because the deaf character is played by a deaf actress. It’s definitely worth checking out.

• isaura-santos

April 17, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Hey guys! I just created a topic for Music, Movies, TV Shows and Books since I found so many people asking for references! Feel free to stop by 🙂

https://smanewstoday.com/forums/topic/music-movies-tv-shows-books/

• adnan-hafizovic

April 18, 2018 at 8:56 am

hi here my recomendation for movies in wich main character is person with disability:The Sessions (2012),The Theory of Flight (1998),The Waterdance (1992),The Theory of Everything (2014),Born on the Fourth of July (1989)

• kevin-schaefer

April 18, 2018 at 9:47 am

Thanks for the recommendations Adnan! I’ll check these out.