SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Disability Representation in ‘The Dragon Prince’

• Disability Representation in ‘The Dragon Prince’

Posted by brianna-albers on November 15, 2019 at 7:00 am

Hi everyone! A good friend of mine is watching (and raving about) “The Dragon Prince,” so I thought I’d pass on the recommendation. One of the characters is deaf and speaks in sign language. From what my friend has told me, it’s actually sign language — and the character’s disability isn’t used as a plot point. She speaks in sign language, one of the other characters translates for her, and that’s that.

I firmly believe in supporting shows with disability representation, even if it’s not my disability, so “The Dragon Prince” is on my list. I’ll let you know what I think. It’s streaming on Netflix, and season three is set to debut shortly. Here’s the trailer, for those who haven’t heard of it.

Have you seen “The Dragon Prince”? If so, what did you think?

brianna-albers replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

November 15, 2019 at 8:57 am

I haven’t seen this one, but I’ll try to check it out as well. I like supporting shows that are inclusive. I’ve been watching The Walking Dead and they also have a couple characters with hearing impairments. What makes it authentic is the actors themselves do have hearing impairments. It’s nice to see more of this. Especially when they don’t make a huge deal out of it, it’s just part of the show.

• brianna-albers

November 21, 2019 at 4:37 pm

I’ve heard The Walking Dead is good! But I’m a scaredy-cat, so who knows if I’d like it 😂