SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Disclosing Your Disability

• Disclosing Your Disability

Posted by deann-r on March 14, 2019 at 9:48 am

Just curious, in what types of situations do you disclose your disability?  I typically don’t unless asked or it directly pertains to the situation.  Recently I made an appointment for a haircut to a place I’ve never been.  I never said anything, but I’m wondering if I should have.  It’s not like I’m going to call back and be like, oh by the way I’m in a wheelchair, but if they knew they could probably at least move the chair.

halsey-blocher replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • lupa-f

March 14, 2019 at 1:57 pm

It mostly depends on what type of place I’m going to and where it is. Generally if it’s in the suburbs and some type of chain store or something I don’t bother saying anything. If it’s a hospital or medical place or government building I don’t bother either. If it’s in the city and/or I know the building is pretty old (even if it’s a new name or management), I’ll make sure to say something and even then it hasn’t always worked out even though they assured me it’d be okay. There’s one concert venue in the city I’ve been calling for years and they’re still “working” on the new elevator.

• halsey-blocher

March 14, 2019 at 9:16 pm

I think it depends on the situation. If you need any accommodations made due to having a disability or you’re going to a building that you don’t is accessible, then I would mention it. Otherwise, I don’t think it’s necessary.