SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you have trouble accepting new medical equipment?

• Do you have trouble accepting new medical equipment?

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 8, 2023 at 11:22 am

Recently, I had to start using a voice amplifier more often than normal. Between my NJ feeding tube and general weakness, my voice has been quieter and sometimes nonexistent altogether. So the amplifier helps when I have Zoom meetings and friends over.

I hate the fact that I have to use it. I know this sounds crazy, but I just feel as though new medical equipment signifies weakness. It means SMA is progressing. I wrote a column about this recently and how I’m unwilling to accept new equipment for this reason. 

I know it’s silly, but do you ever feel that way too? SMA has robbed us of enough. Having to lose even more independence stings.

alyssa-silva replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

May 9, 2023 at 9:58 am

Yeah, I’m fairly certain if I had a sleep study they’d say I should be using a Bi-Pap. It’s one more thing to have to get used to. One more thing to instruct someone how to use. One more thing to justify to insurance. And yes, one more thing SMA has dealt me. I don’t necessarily find it as a sign of weakness or that SMA is winning, but I still don’t like it. If I need to I will but I’d rather avoid the hassle.

Even though you don’t like using it, does the amplifier work well? It’s not something I’ve needed to consider, but I hear that it’s a common issue for many of us.

• alyssa-silva

May 9, 2023 at 3:02 pm

Yeah, getting new equipment is definitely a hassle as well. My voice is starting to get a little stronger since I wrote that column, so I haven’t been needing the amplifier as much. But it works well. It also comes in handy when I’m tired and want to talk more quietly to save energy.

What makes you think you need BiPAP?

• kip-troendle

May 9, 2023 at 11:17 am

I tried the voice amplifier and found it not as helpful as anticipated. Perhaps it was too cheap ($35.99) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MXNWRQL/). My father has VERY poor hearing (even with hearing aids) and can barely make out my words/conversations.

I also was red flagged as a Bi-Pap candidate years back. It has been a good dust collector. Instead, I aim a plain old fashioned fan at my face all night. I believe it help push the CO2 from my lungs, somewhat like the Bi-Pap, but without the uncomfortable straps.

I enjoy new equipment or technology if it makes my life easier. However, there’s usually a downside to making things easier. We end up not using muscles we typically used frequently. Example, Alexa can change my TV channels now with a simple voice command, but forcing my fingers to push the remote buttons is no longer is required. Good or bad?

Please let me know if your voice amp works well…

• alyssa-silva

May 9, 2023 at 3:10 pm

Hey Kip. I actually use the same amplifier as you. It works well for me, and I like that it’s compact. But the sound is a little too tinny for me. I’m trying to find something of higher quality, especially for when I have work meetings. I have yet to find anything, but if I do I will let you know!