SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you prefer to shop in-store or online?

• Do you prefer to shop in-store or online?

Posted by alyssa-silva on December 18, 2023 at 10:52 am

Tis the season for holiday shopping. In recent years all my shopping has been done online. And recently I started using the Rakuten app and getting cash back on all my purchases. It is ideal for someone like me who has to do everything online. 

Not being able to leave my house as I please makes online shopping a super convenient option. Plus I’m all set with trying to deal with crowds at this time of year. However, there are downsides too. I think it’s much easier to shop in-store and see what you’re buying. Especially when it comes to groceries. We always seem to get rotten fruits and vegetables, dented cans, etc. Making returns can also be a nightmare when you purchase online. 

There’s good and bad to everything I guess. How do you do most of your shopping these days? Any tips or tricks for online shoppers?

deann-r replied 4 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

December 21, 2023 at 8:40 pm

Do you have a favorite online shop? Probably 90% of my shopping is done online these days. It can be challenging as you mentioned. Sizing can be tricky, but when you get to know a brand it’s a bit easier. I’ve been disappointed lately in quality of things and usually it’s a pain to return. I bought some outdoor Christmas lights (I did go with multi-color) and they’re already in disrepair. Actually they didn’t work right from the get go. Amazon makes returns fairly easy, but of course that’s not where the lights came from.

Are you happy with Rakuten so far? I’ve used Ibotta. Seems kind of time consuming and I hate when I don’t think about it beforehand.

I’ve heard rumblings of my state implementing a 50 cent fee for all deliveries. Does your state do anything this? In my opinion it unfairly targets the disabled community who depend on these services. Not only do I get groceries delivered I get medications and medical supplies. Hopefully those items would be exempt. Definitely something I’ll bring up if the meeting with the legislator ever comes to fruition.