SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you take extra measures at this time of year to stay healthy?

• Do you take extra measures at this time of year to stay healthy?

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 13, 2023 at 9:27 am

So many nasty illnesses are going around. ‘Tis the season, I guess. My mom and dad both had colds that lasted for weeks and weeks. Thankfully, I avoided their germs even though they’re my main caregivers. I did, however, get a sinus infection. I get these often, and they always hit me hard. I become so weak and run down. I swear it takes me double the time to recover than having the infection itself. Nevertheless, I’ll take it over a respiratory infection. 

How has your health been? Do you take extra measures at this time of year to stay healthy?

alyssa-silva replied 5 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • deann-r

November 14, 2023 at 10:40 am

So far so good with my avoidance tactic. I’ve had my weekend gal call out three weekends in a row! Not ideal when I’m short staffed. Honestly I thought she was faking but she had to stop to sign her timesheet and she was really croaky. I kept my distance. This last weekend she said she could work but still had the cold. After talking it over with Mom, we decided not to risk it right before Thanksgiving.

On the bright side, you should be good for the holidays. Somewhere I heard it takes 3 days to recover for every day that you’re sick. In our case I’m thinking it’s more like 5. Not scientific of course. I’m impressed your sinus infection didn’t turn into congestion. Did you do anything in particular to avoid that?

• alyssa-silva

November 17, 2023 at 8:23 pm

It may not be scientific but it makes sense to me. That’s exactly how I end up feeling. I didn’t do anything to prevent this infection from settling in my chest. Usually, it stays in my head and throat. I get these so often that I don’t usually get too worried about it. Every once in a while, it’ll settle in my upper chest. In this case, I’ll do a few nebs a day and chest PT to keep things loose.

I hope your caregiver feels better soon. I think you made the right call telling her not to come. That’s frustrating though. Have you ever had to have a caregiver come when sick? It’s such a tough call to make.

• EltonTipa

November 21, 2023 at 1:24 am

Nothing much. I just try to get enough sleep and rest to show my body and brain that I love them.

• deann-r

November 21, 2023 at 10:37 am

Well said. Sometimes I don’t think we do give our mind and body enough credit.

• anna

November 21, 2023 at 3:05 am

I get sinus infections too, but they usually come after a cold. I think it’s because I spend much time lying down and the mucus doesn’t drain properly – if that makes sense. I’ve noticed, however, that as long as I keep the airway clear with nasal rinses and sprays for the first 3-5 days, the recovery is much quicker.

I keep wondering if there’s any point in taking extra measures against viruses when the people we live with are getting exposed daily anyway. I’m still avoiding dining indoors -which is a real bummer given that most of the socializing is usually done over a table -and yet I got my dad’s (fortunately mild) cold. Not to mention how much worse it is for those of us who have children in the family. My nieces fall sick literally every other week! They live in another country, but they’re coming home for Christmas and the odds are that they’ll be contagious when I see them.

• alyssa-silva

November 22, 2023 at 10:20 am

I feel this. My niece and nephews are always sick. In fact, my niece is sick right now so I’m missing out on Thanksgiving with them. It’s an unfortunate situation. Are you able to wear a mask when they come over? During the cold and flu season months, that’s what we do if the kids are healthy. We don’t want to go without seeing them altogether so if they’re feeling well we get together and use masks as a preventative. Seems like kids are always carrying germs. 😂

• anna

November 23, 2023 at 5:24 am

Yes, wearing a mask seems like my only option since they’ll probably be sick when they come. The alternative is not to see them at all and it’s just so sad because I only get to see them twice a year for a few days. It’s not that we can reschedule and wait for them to recover.

It is Thanksgiving though, so I’ll stop whining and count my blessings. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving, even though it didn’t go as planned!

• alyssa-silva

November 27, 2023 at 9:36 am

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving too, Anna. Stay healthy this holiday season. 😬