SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you take nebulizer treatments daily?

• Do you take nebulizer treatments daily?

Posted by alyssa-silva on June 13, 2022 at 5:34 pm

Without getting too much into it, I had a minor health thing last week and needed to take nebulizer treatments. (I have only ever done nebulizer treatments when I have had some sort of respiratory infection. Occasionally I’ll take my albuterol inhaler if I’m feeling tight.) They helped, but as a preventative measure, I decided to continue taking them for a few more days after feeling better.

To my surprise, my oxygen level was higher and I felt as though I were breathing better throughout the day after taking them consistently. Sounds kind of silly because I know that’s the purpose of nebulizers. But the reason it was surprising was because I didn’t realize I was having trouble breathing to begin with. Though it’s not part of my daily regimen, I’m wondering if it’s in my best interest to do so.

Do you take nebulizer treatments daily? Do you find that it helps?

deann-r replied 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • yvette-haas

June 14, 2022 at 9:42 pm

I do one every morning, before getting in my chair. Always have, since I was little.

• alyssa-silva

June 15, 2022 at 10:46 am

That’s awesome! Do you take albuterol or saline nebs? I think I’m going to start doing the same and maybe even a saline nebulizer at night too. Albuterol gets me too wired- I’d never fall asleep.

• deann-r

June 16, 2022 at 11:26 am

Like you I only use nebs when I’m under the weather. I can see where regular use could be beneficial though. If I don’t see an actual benefit it’s hard for me to stick with it. Sometimes I forget maintenance is important too.