SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Dose of DeAnn Episode 14: Chores and Responsibilities

• Dose of DeAnn Episode 14: Chores and Responsibilities

Posted by deann-r on August 1, 2018 at 6:30 am

https://youtu.be/8kTZzZ4BTN8

In the latest episode of Dose of DeAnn: A Glimpse Into My Life with SMA, I talk about how having chores and responsibilities as a kid helped prepare me for being independent as an adult. Despite my physical limitations and how time-consuming certain tasks can be, my Mom in particular pushed me to do what I was capable of.

For instance, one chore I had growing up was helping fold laundry. It took me longer than most people to do this, and it took my Mom extra time to separate clothes for me so that I could fold them. Still, doing tasks like this showed me what I was capable of in spite of having SMA, and by doing them I disciplined myself. Now when I have to do things like coordinate PCA schedules, work and handle all other day-to-day matters in my life, I’m more prepared.

What chores and responsibilities did you all have growing up? What do you do currently? Join the discussion here, and be sure to subscribe and check out the SMA News Today YouTube channel, where you can find all episodes of Dose of DeAnn: A Glimpse into my Life with SMA. You can also connect with me directly, right here on the forums page. 

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

August 2, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Great video DeAnn. I think this is one every parent should see. My parents always raised me to take responsibility, and they didn’t treat me differently from my able-bodied siblings. Though there was little I could do physically growing up, these days I help out a lot financially. I work full-time, pay rent, cover caregiving costs that aren’t covered by the government and I often buy my parents meals when we eat out. I like being independent and helping out in that respect, and I owe it to the way my parents raised me.

• deann-r

August 3, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Thanks Kevin.  It’s nice that you’re able to help out the way you do.  How many siblings do you have?  I’ve probably heard but don’t recall.

• kevin-schaefer

August 5, 2018 at 8:45 am

I’m the youngest of three. I’m 24, my brother is 27 and my sister is 30. My sister is married, and she and her husband have a daughter who will be 2 in December.