SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Dragon Professional Individual 15

• Dragon Professional Individual 15

Posted by michael-morale on August 21, 2018 at 10:52 am

I’ve been using Dragon software for my voice recognition whenever I work on the computer. The version that I had, version 12, is no longer being supported, so I purchased the professional version the other day when they offered it to me for $99. This software normally runs $300. After uninstalling my old version and reinstalling my new version, I was pleasantly surprised at how much better this software is compared to the older version. The older version had quite a few quirks that needed attention, but this newer version seems to be very fluent in the recognition part of the software works much better. If you have never used it, I do highly recommend it, especially since many of the problems with the older version have been corrected.

Questions:
    How many of you use voice recognition software?
    If you do use voice recognition software, which ones do you use?

Voice recognition software is something that many of us who have SMA will find extremely helpful, especially if you’re like me and have lost some of the strength and dexterity in your hands.

david-z replied 5 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

August 21, 2018 at 11:25 am

So, I still haven’t switched to voice-recognition software. I just feel weird using it when I’m writing. My arm-strength is weak too, but I can still type on my phone or iPad. How long have you been using the voice-recognition devices? And do you only work this way?

• deann-r

August 21, 2018 at 11:59 am

About 7 years ago I broke my arm making it impossible to use a keyboard.  I attempted to use Dragon, but apparently it wasn’t compatible with my pc at the time.  For me it was more hassle than it was worth, so I just use my mouse and onscreen keyboard.  Voice recognition has come a long way though, so could be worth another shot I suppose.

• michael-morale

August 21, 2018 at 1:35 pm

I would highly recommend it. The first version of Dragon software worked relatively well, but it did have quite a few bugs and kinks in it. This new version that I downloaded the other day is working phenomenally. I don’t have to go back and correct near as much punctuation or spelling like I used to. The initial cost of $300 is quite hefty, but if you had one of the older versions, they may give you the new version at a discounted rate of $99 like they did me. If you want to give them a call, here’s the phone number: 1-800-654-1187.

• kevin-schaefer

August 21, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Thanks for the information!

• david-z

September 3, 2018 at 9:12 am

I use my own custom speech recognition, so I don’t have experience with this product for Dragon, but I’ve read that the maker offers it free to people with disabilities.

http://shop.knowbrainer.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=4