SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Drinking celery juice

• Drinking celery juice

Posted by alyssa-silva on September 2, 2020 at 11:00 am

My stomach continues to make my life problematic. While I have a feeling the root cause of all my ailments is the inevitable— disease progression— I feel as though I’m not helping myself the way I should. I know I can’t fix things, but I can at least make my life easier.

I experimented with CBD oil for the first time this summer, and it has helped a lot. I take it before meals, and I no longer feel nauseous when I eat. Win. I am also trying to hydrate more but am not as good at it. Not proud to admit that.

But because I have A LOT of digestive issues and problems with constipation, I decided to give this celery juice craze a try. My aunt drinks it every single day, and she swears by it. She says her gut feels so clean now.

You’re supposed to drink 16 oz. a day, but because I’m so tiny, I’m starting with 4 oz. I have some reservations since my stomach gets angry every time I introduce something new to it. But after one day, I went to the bathroom no problem.

Am I finally on the right track? Have you tried celery juice and found benefits? I bought a juicer and have been making it fresh. It does, however, taste really gross!

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • julia-ayerbe

September 7, 2020 at 5:05 pm

Hi Alyssa, I use to drink green juices every morning, with spinach, celery, carrots, apple. I also have constipation problems, and I think it helps, and also not eating too much gluten. Anyway, constipation is a hard issue… but I think the juices are a good ally.

• alyssa-silva

September 8, 2020 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for sharing that with me Júlia. How have your spasms been? I remember you saying a few months ago that you were having some problems. Do you think the juices helped with motility?

• nikki

September 11, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Hi Alyssa, I don’t know about you but my doctor attributes my constipation issues to 1) the obvious of lack of muscle movement in the intestines which I’m sure you’re aware of and 2) lack of potassium. Turns out my body get rid of more potassium then it should. For me I have found that 2 to 3 glasses a week of Pedialyte moves things along. If you’re not diabetic then the flavored ones are my fave. I also drink smoothies on a daily basis. For the celery blend, I add a good dose of frozen pineapple chunks for sweetness with grapefruit juice and about a half a handful of parsley. I also grind almonds and raw oats for fiber, works wonders! Hope this helps 🙂

• alyssa-silva

September 13, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Hey Nikki. I know my potassium is fine. Just got blood work done. I do drink Pedialyte every day too. 🙂

Thanks for the great tips! Definitely going to add something to the celery juice haha. When you grind the almonds and oats, do you just add it to a smoothie? I’ve had stomach problems with oats but I’ve never tried almonds. Not sure if they’re much different though.