SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Driving to Faraway Coffee Shops While Learning to Honor My Good Days

• Driving to Faraway Coffee Shops While Learning to Honor My Good Days

Posted by brianna-albers on June 17, 2019 at 7:00 am

Hi everyone! Alyssa’s latest column is up, in which she talks about bad days, good days, and the importance of honoring both. Driving to faraway coffee shops may seem strange, but for Alyssa, it’s a way for her to honor good days—she has the energy for a trip, and she has time to spare, so why not take advantage of decent health and be spontaneous? Then, when the bad days inevitably come around, she has the memories of road trips and coffee shops to keep her mood bright.

I’ve been struggling with fatigue the past couple of days, so Alyssa’s column was posted at the perfect time. I often wish I felt better—had more energy, fewer headaches, so on and so forth. But the fact of the matter is that, with SMA, you can’t escape the bad days. They’ll always be there. But, on the flip side, good days will also occur! The important thing is to acknowledge where you’re at and make space for your health—whether it’s good or bad—in your everyday life.

How do you honor your good days? When you have bad days, how do you care for yourself?

brianna-albers replied 4 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • adnan-hafizovic

June 17, 2019 at 11:50 am

The most annoying me when I feel good and I have no one to go somewher. And when I have a bad day then someone always calls me to go out and go somewhere. Usually when is the summer then I feel better and so I use the summer as much as I can.

• brianna-albers

June 21, 2019 at 12:04 pm

That happens to me too! It’s so frustrating 😔

• kevin-schaefer

June 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm

I love this column!

I can definitely relate to taking advantage of good days. I just went on a day trip to Charlotte this past Saturday for a comic con. It was refreshing to be on the road on a sunny day, see friends, and not think about work. There are definitely days when something like training a new caregiver wears me out, so it’s good to have some spontaneous adventures on good days.

Great column Alyssa!

• brianna-albers

June 21, 2019 at 12:14 pm

That’s awesome, Kevin! I’m glad you were able to make it to the con. I bet that was a great experience!

• ryan-berhar

June 17, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Man, I could have written this. Well, I haven’t driven to another state to get coffee (though don’t put it past me) but going to coffee shops is one of my very favorite activities. I also have those days that are just good, and it’s difficult to figure out exactly why. Other days are complete crud.

• brianna-albers

June 21, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Same here! I’ve been going to coffee shops to work on my book. It’s a great way to get out of the house without expending a lot of energy.