• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rachel Markley 6 days, 7 hours ago.

• Author
       Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

Hey everyone, check out the dynamic arm support by Kinova Robotics—the same company that makes the JACO robotic arm. This device attaches to your arm and helps neutralize the forces of gravity, allowing those of us with weaker arms to complete tasks such as eating, drinking, brushing hair, brushing teeth, and typing on a keyboard.

This can be mounted to either a wheelchair or table. It might be a good alternative to the JACO, as it appears less invasive, and I assume it’s more affordable. I’m going to reach out to Kinova to get more information, and this will likely be the subject of my next YouTube video.

https://www.kinovarobotics.com/en/products/assistive-technologies/dynamic-arm-supports

Rachel Markley 
      Participant

Hey Ryan! My OT was looking into this for me. If you find out cost can you let me know please?

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

Need to know more! Keep us posted with what you find out. I’d be interested for sure.

Ryan Berhar 
      Keymaster

I will definitely let everyone know once I learn more.

DeAnn R 
        Keymaster

I contacted the company to learn more, so we’ll see. Ryan and Kevin, I name dropped hoping for a quicker response. Hope you don’t mind.

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

Looking forward to this video Ryan. Here’s what I’ve found out. Out of pocket this device costs $28,400! That’s 1/3 of the cost of my entire house! So far they’ve had some success getting it covered by private insurance and managed Medicare/Medicaid. Straight Medicare/Medicaid won’t even entertain the thought (surprise, surprise that’s my situation.) Vocational Rehab is another funding option, but is a lengthy uphill battle. Fundraising is an alternative as well, but I can’t fathom raising that kind of money.

Here’s my dilemma, do I still try to set up a demo even though there’s no way I can possibly afford it? I’d feel bad wasting their time, but I’d love to give it a try. I know I’d fall in love with it. Maybe it’s like the Say Yes to the Dress scenario, don’t even try it on if you can’t afford it. Sigh.

Ryan Berhar 
        Keymaster

I emailed and have not heard back yet. That’s still pretty pricey. I’d definitely do a demo for either this or JACO. You might even be able to try both. Hardly anyone can “afford” these devices, and insurance probably won’t cover them, but you can absolutely fundraise. I know it probably seems insurmountable, but it’s not. I raised $53,000 in two months, and Kevin did it as well.

Rachel Markley 
        Participant

DeAnn, that’s why my OT and I decided not to demo. She was afraid if I demoed and it even remotely worked, insurance would go for it versus Jaco and Jaco would allow me to do way more.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Videos

• ©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.