SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Dynamic Arm Support

• rachel-markley

August 8, 2019 at 2:55 pm

Hey Ryan! My OT was looking into this for me. If you find out cost can you let me know please?

• deann-r

August 8, 2019 at 6:10 pm

Need to know more! Keep us posted with what you find out. I’d be interested for sure.

• ryan-berhar

August 8, 2019 at 7:11 pm

I will definitely let everyone know once I learn more.

• deann-r

August 12, 2019 at 10:33 am

I contacted the company to learn more, so we’ll see. Ryan and Kevin, I name dropped hoping for a quicker response. Hope you don’t mind.

• kevin-schaefer

August 12, 2019 at 11:36 am

No problem at all!

• deann-r

August 12, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Looking forward to this video Ryan. Here’s what I’ve found out. Out of pocket this device costs $28,400! That’s 1/3 of the cost of my entire house! So far they’ve had some success getting it covered by private insurance and managed Medicare/Medicaid. Straight Medicare/Medicaid won’t even entertain the thought (surprise, surprise that’s my situation.) Vocational Rehab is another funding option, but is a lengthy uphill battle. Fundraising is an alternative as well, but I can’t fathom raising that kind of money.

Here’s my dilemma, do I still try to set up a demo even though there’s no way I can possibly afford it? I’d feel bad wasting their time, but I’d love to give it a try. I know I’d fall in love with it. Maybe it’s like the Say Yes to the Dress scenario, don’t even try it on if you can’t afford it. Sigh.

• ryan-berhar

August 12, 2019 at 5:48 pm

I emailed and have not heard back yet. That’s still pretty pricey. I’d definitely do a demo for either this or JACO. You might even be able to try both. Hardly anyone can “afford” these devices, and insurance probably won’t cover them, but you can absolutely fundraise. I know it probably seems insurmountable, but it’s not. I raised $53,000 in two months, and Kevin did it as well.

• rachel-markley

August 13, 2019 at 9:53 am

DeAnn, that’s why my OT and I decided not to demo. She was afraid if I demoed and it even remotely worked, insurance would go for it versus Jaco and Jaco would allow me to do way more.

• deann-r

August 21, 2019 at 9:50 pm

Hey guys, I’m so excited, I have a demo scheduled for September 24th! Funding may be a possibility as I guess Minnesota Medicaid has covered them. Fingers crossed!

• ryan-berhar

August 22, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Congrats! I was told that insurance is covering them about 50% of the time, which I was pleasantly surprised by. Good luck.