SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Ella’s Hunger for Reading and Writing

• Ella’s Hunger for Reading and Writing

Posted by kevin-schaefer on December 20, 2018 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone, here’s Michael Casten’s latest column: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/12/19/sma-daughter-hunger-reading-writing/?amp.

It does bring me joy to hear that there are still kids today who love reading and storytelling, and not just technology. Especially for those of us with SMA, I believe reading is so important. Inevitably, we have to rely more on our minds than our bodies to do daily things. Every book I read provides me with a new ounce of mental energy, and I encourage all parents out there to instill in their kids a love for reading early on. I’m actually working on starting a book club here on the forums, in which we’ll discuss books by authors with SMA and other disabilities.

Hope you all enjoy this column, and have a great day.

krystal replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

December 20, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Woah woah… reading 20 minutes even on weekends? Let’s pump the brakes a little. Haha. This reminds me of when I was a kid, I would just read the same books over and over. I read one book called “Captain Pepper’s Pets” several times a week just to easily get my reading minutes done. Gotta find those loopholes.

• krystal

December 21, 2018 at 3:00 pm

My daughter loves to…flip the pages of the book over and over and over. She pays attention to our reading for about 30 seconds before wanting to flip the page. She babbles during story time. We try to read her a book every single day.