SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Embracing Halloween

• Embracing Halloween

Posted by deann-r on October 25, 2019 at 11:15 am

Halloween was never my favorite holiday. Going door to door when you live in a rural area is challenging. My parent’s vehicle wasn’t accessible. Therefore the number of times I could get in and out was limited. In addition to that temperatures by Halloween usually require layers. Covering a costume with a winter coat? That should be a crime. As long as we went to the neighbor who spookified their driveway and handed out homemade popcorn balls I was happy, kind of. Times have changed. Halloween is now a holiday to embrace when you have a disability.

Community gatherings are the way to go. Churches, schools or even shopping centers have Trunk or Treat activities for kids. No more need to get in and out of a vehicle 100 times to fill that pillowcase with candy. Bundling up to go door to door is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Many restaurants and bars partake in the festivities so even as an adult we can get in on the fun.

Costumes can be quite elaborate these days. Since it’s no longer necessary to get in and out of a vehicle, there’s a great opportunity to incorporate a wheelchair into the costume. Programs even exist now to help make kiddo’s rides snazzy for Halloween. Have you incorporated your chair into a costume?

Do you embrace Halloween? What have been your favorite activities? Do you have a costume we need to hear about? I’d love to hear your Halloween stories.

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar

October 25, 2019 at 2:38 pm

I quit doing anything for Halloween when I was probably ten, mostly because it’s just extremely cold, but I never cared much about it anyway. I don’t really have any stories lol.

• kevin-schaefer

October 25, 2019 at 4:20 pm

I’m an October baby, and a huge nerd, so naturally I love Halloween haha. My column next week is about embracing it.

I agree that it’s become much more inclusive, especially with parties and community events. I’m going to a friend’s birthday/Halloween party tomorrow, and his apartment is accessible. Likewise, more online retailers are tailoring costumes for people with disabilities, which is exciting. Also, I’m going as Obi-Wan this year.