• Essential Oils

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 25, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Lately, I’ve been doing some research on alternative methods for pain relief instead of always jumping to Tylenol or Motrin. And, essential oils have been in the back of my mind.

Has anyone experimented with them? I’m a total skeptic— and not just with essential oils, with everything. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean I’m not willing to give them a try. I just don’t know where to start when it comes to which oils work best for whatever it is I’m targeting.

If I were looking for something to ease muscle pain, what would you recommend? I’ve read that peppermint works well, but are there other blends you live by?

deann-r replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • survivinglife

November 25, 2019 at 4:41 pm

I’ve never actually tried them either (though I want to!) but I did get a set for my mom to help with her stress and she said she loves them. I’ve heard great things about peppermint as well, although I don’t know about others for pain relief. Have you Googled it? I don’t think it would hurt to try them, as I’ve never heard anything bad about them.

• alyssa-silva

November 26, 2019 at 3:37 pm

Googling essential oils is information overload. Maybe I’ll just focus on peppermint oil for now and do some in-depth research. I’ll have to report back and let you know!

• halsey-blocher

November 25, 2019 at 8:59 pm

I’ve tried peppermint oil for headaches and I thought it helped a lot. Although I haven’t done it in a long time because last time I did I used too much and it dropped into my eye. If you’ve never gotten peppermint oil in your eye before, then you won’t know how painful it is because I don’t even know how to describe it. I couldn’t open my eye for almost an hour, and when I did, it was bright red for most of the day. On the bright side, my eye hurt so bad that I forgot about my headache.

• alyssa-silva

November 26, 2019 at 3:35 pm

Oh my gosh! I can’t imagine— that’s one way to look at the whole situation though haha. My friend once put peppermint oil in between my eyes because I had a bad headache, and just the potency of it burned my eyes sooo bad. I guess you’re not supposed to put it directly onto skin? Like you have to dilute it first?? I don’t know, that’s where I become confused.

• halsey-blocher

November 26, 2019 at 9:26 pm

I’ve never heard of putting it between the eyes. I can see why that might burn. I tried it higher on my forehead and temples.

• alyssa-silva

November 27, 2019 at 12:47 pm

I’m pretty sure I just did it wrong haha.

• deann-r

November 27, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Some oils you’re supposed to dilute with a carrier oil like coconut oil or argon oil.  Peppermint might be one you have to do that with.  Tea tree is another I believe.

• deann-r

November 26, 2019 at 8:36 am

I’ve just dabbled in oils myself.  I like using blends that are already mixed.  I get a lot of them from here https://www.edensgarden.com/  They run a lot of good sales.  My favorite is the Guardian Blend.  My diffuser just broke, but that was a mainstay in it.  As far as pain, I can’t say personally but my sister swears by CBD oil.  I don’t know much about it, but it doesn’t have the chemical properties that make you high, but supposedly relieves pain.  My sister has terrible back issues and it’s helped her.

• alyssa-silva

November 26, 2019 at 3:42 pm

Ah yes! I follow eden’s garden on instagram— that’s good to know. I tried CBD once and it made me sleepy… not sure why. I should probably shop around for one that works for me because I’ve heard great things about its effectiveness and chronic pain. Glad to hear it works well for your sister.