SMA News Forums Forums Diagnosis​ Info ​and​ ​General​ ​Questions Have you ever used a cough assist machine?

• deann-r

April 23, 2018 at 11:11 am

My first experience with cough assist was in a hospital setting.  Definitely scary at first, but worked like a charm.  All the time I have people say they wish they could cough for me when they hear my wimpy attempts.  This machine actually does.  The respiratory techs were surprised I didn’t have one at home.

Within the last year I got my very own.  After fiddling with the settings and trying a mouthpiece I think I’ve got it where it will be most beneficial.  I’ve had to educate others on what it is and how to use it, but it’s not hard to do.

• kevin-schaefer

April 23, 2018 at 12:47 pm

I used to be very reluctant about using it, but once I forced myself to do it it helped me tremendously. It’s a bit tedious at first and it takes some time getting used to, but it’s an instrumental tool for combatting respiratory issues. Like DeAnn, I have trouble coughing on my own, and yeah this machine does all the work for you. If you can discipline yourself to do it a few times a day, you’ll definitely decrease your chances of pneumonia.

• adnan-hafizovic

April 24, 2018 at 12:49 pm

Is it cough machine same thing like nebulizer?

• deann-r

April 24, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Adnan, cough assist is much different than a nebulizer.  Cough assist more pushes air in when you take a breath, then quickly pulls air out for the exhale if that makes sense.  When you cough with the exhale it gives the cough more oomph.  They work great in conjunction with each other for me when I’m sick.  I’ll do the nebulizer to loosen gunk, then cough assist to help get it out.

• adnan-hafizovic

May 2, 2018 at 7:17 am

ok Deann thank