SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Finding Your SMA Community

• Finding Your SMA Community

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 18, 2018 at 9:00 am

This weekend I’m taking a day-trip to Charlotte, North Carolina to visit with some friends in the SMA community. Abby and Kristen both live in North Carolina, and Savannah lives in South Carolina. We all met through Cure SMA conferences, and we all hit it off pretty quickly. Charlotte was a good halfway point for us to meet up, and we’re going to spend the day together in the city’s downtown area.

I highly encourage you to form relationships with other people in the SMA community, both online and in-person. If you can find just a few people who live close enough to you, those relationships can have a real positive impact. Online relationships are great, but there’s nothing like connecting with people in-person who can relate to the things you go though everyday. I’m stoked to reunite with my SMA Carolina crew on Saturday.

michael-morale replied 5 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

July 18, 2018 at 8:56 pm

That’s awesome man. I have only connected with one person in my area. He’s a three year old with type one, so I haven’t really been able to develop much of a relationship with him. But I have become good friends with his parents.

• kevin-schaefer

July 19, 2018 at 12:36 pm

That’s good man. Also are you and your family planning on going to the conference next year? It’s in Disneyland, so much closer to you.

• deann-r

July 18, 2018 at 10:06 pm

That’s awesome!  Travel for me is the kicker.  I live at least 2 hrs away from any fellow SMA peeps.  Although I can get around my town I don’t really have a way to get into the bigger cities.  Do you have plans what you’ll be doing?

• kevin-schaefer

July 19, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Yeah this is really the first time I’ve found an SMA group I feel close with that isn’t full of people who live states away. Have you ever thought about asking those people to come to you?

And as far as what we’ll do, we’re going to a downtown area that has a lot of restaurants and bars. It’ll be a good chance for us to just hang out.

• kevin-schaefer

July 22, 2018 at 5:51 pm

It was a lot of fun yesterday! We spent the day in downtown Charlotte in an outdoor mall area. Once everyone got there, we found a bowling alley with a nice restaurant inside. We spent the majority of the time just hanging out there, eating and catching up. After a few hours there we went up to the rooftop, took pictures and hung out. It was refreshing to just get together and catch up.

Hopefully it won’t be too long before our crew meets up again.

• michael-morale

July 28, 2018 at 12:33 pm

I think one of the best things that I ever did would be joining this forum. I have met so many great people and the interaction between those of us SMA are conversations that I think we truly value and appreciate. Meeting others with SMA has shown me just how vibrant of a community we actually belong to.